Thursday, April 23, 2009

Never Settle

Never settle for anything less than the best. This has been my motto in the last year. This motto could apply to alot of things in life. In my particular case, I would never settle for less than I deserve because I know my self worth. Along with this motto came my sense of independence. I am more independent than I have ever been and it is good to be that way. People who are independent tend to have a bit more self confidence than people who depend on others for everything. And when people rely on others and forget who they really are, it is bound to come to a painful crash landing eventually. I have been on both ends of the spectrum and neither way is good or fair for that matter.

So, never settle. Plain and simple ~ don't do it. Because if you settle for something, you will always be searching for more. You will always be looking for something you do not have or wondering what else more is out there to explore. So with any decision you make in life, make sure you are 110% concrete sure that whatever it is you have decided is what you want. Decisions are like concrete ~ once they are made, you cannot go back and undo what has already been done. You can break up the concrete or change your mind about the decision, but there is damage that cannot be undone. There is nothing worse than making a decision when your brain is still not settled on what it truly wants, and then realizing you made a mistake and wish you could take that decision back.

After the many changes I've had to roll through in life, I will never settle again. I might make choices or compromises, but I will never sacrifice who I am or what I am to please someone else. And if you find yourself leaning on something or someone so much that your world would crumble if they disappeared in a second's notice or if you make sacrifices you cannot live with in the long run, then you, my friend, are settling. And what happens when you settle? It will come back to haunt you in the long run. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, maybe not even next year, but it will come back to bite you in the rear end at some point in time.

I love the song "Settlin" by Sugarland. This song refers to a girl who will not settle for anything less than everything. She's had enough "so-so" for the rest of life. I found this song very powerful last year when I was going through some major changes in life. If you know it, listen to the lyrics again and really think about it. And if you have never heard it, this would be a wonderful time to listen to it! Never again will I settle, and neither should you!

So if you have read this so far and are pondering if you are "settling" for something or someone, that should open your eyes. If the question "am I settling?" is weighing on your mind, then it sounds like you probably are. Your current scenario may be great to pass the time and pacify yourself, but if you settle for anything less than the best, you will regret it later on down the road. And when you reach the point that you can answer truthfully that you are not "settling," you are right where you should be. Stay there, be content and explore what more life has to offer! For when we are happy and not "settling" that is where we are meant to be at that moment in time.

2 comments:

Cowboy said...

I really liked what you said. I have settled in my life before. now I am where I want and need to be.....

Anonymous said...

Better word to mention here as well: Coinscience. Coinscience is our true connection with God. If we truly make friends with our coinscience and follow that path, the best will definately come forth in life.