Friday, November 20, 2009

It's Great to Have a Good Laugh!

Laughter is good for the soul. Laughter is good for the mind, body and spirit too. I love to laugh, even when I don't want to laugh sometimes. We all need a good laugh every now and again. Sometimes we laugh at something that happens, our children, things others do, or even laugh at ourselves as well. And there are sometimes we have to contain our laughter for the sake of others. Like when someone slips and falls on the ice or down the stairs, your initial thought should be to make sure that person is ok. Then the thought immediately following is usually the fact that you want to laugh. We are all human, we have all done it. I know I have had to bite my tongue more than once around my kids. But once they leave the room, I can let the laughter erupt. We have all been there, done that, and laughing is a great thing!

Laughter can be a source of therapy sometimes. We can be having the worst day or nothing seems to be going right, and then something happens to make us laugh. It relaxes our minds, releases tension and stress, and makes us feel better after we've had a good laugh. It has the same effect as a good cry does; we always feel better after we've had a crying spell over something. We can equally feel better after having a laughter spell over something. So the next time you are having a rough time or a hard day, think of something funny! Even if you don't want to laugh, find something to laugh about because it will help ease your day and lighten your mood.

We have all had "oops" moments that we want to run and hide under a rock and hide our faces for eternity. We all make mistakes that result in embarrassing ourselves at some point or another. The best thing to do when this happens is to try and forget about what has happened, laugh about it too, and move on. Don't dwell on it, don't even think about it. As time passes, people will forget and it won't be as funny as the moment when it happened. We may do things that people will always remember, but at least we don't have to walk around red-faced forever. Time passes and so will those little embarrassing moments we all have.

Not only do we ourselves have "oops" moments, but it happens to other people all the time. Funny things happen all the time, jokes are spread like wildfire on the internet. There is always something to laugh about if you think about it. How many times have you thought about something that happened to another person in the past and still laugh about it to this day? Most people can recall at least one funny memory like that. But when it happens to others, it's even funnier because it didn't happen to YOU. Think about that statement. If something really embarrassing happens to someone, you have to laugh about it. But then when you think "I'm glad it was them and not me," it makes the scenario even funnier.

I know for me personally, I find more laughter in things that my kids do and say. My little one sure has that ability, she makes me laugh every single day. Her latest overstated phrase of "I got you a question" was hilarious when I first heard it. Now I find myself telling other people "I got you a question!" I really have to watch what I say because I pick up the 4 year old lingo and it sticks. Ever notice how that works? Your kids will say something so many times and it kind of grows on you after awhile. So just beware if you have little ones, sometimes their childlike language becomes a part of your everyday vocabulary. And then you can make others laugh when you use the words of your children in adult conversation!

Have you ever been slap happy? I love that term! Slap happy just sounds funny in itself. Being slap happy doesn't mean you go around happily slapping everyone (and I know a few who would not to mention any names) but it simply means you are giggly and in a happy mood. Not only do I love the term, but I love being slap happy. This usually happens to people when they are low on sleep and really tired but have a burst of energy right before they are going to crash. Sometimes it takes a little bit of alcohol and people get slap happy. It's like being on a cloud and not focusing on reality for a short time. And everything you do while in slap happy mode is funny to you and you think everyone else should laugh about it too. It could be the silliest or dumbest thing, but it's just hysterical. People don't get slap happy too often, but when they do, stand by and watch because you might just get a few good laughs over it!

Some people are happy go lucky and can laugh all the time. Other people are depressed, sad and mope around all the time. And then there are those in between. We all have good and happy days. But we also all have bad and not so good days. We also all have our moods too ~ up, down, happy, sad, focused, scatterbrained, etc. Our mood will determine how much laughter we will release in a day. So if we can stay in a positive and upbeat mode, we will be able to laugh and have more fun in a day then if we down or depressed about something. Even on a bad day, we all need to see the light and be thankful for all of our blessings, and smile! Smiling is contagious and if you smile, you will feel better =-) !

Let's see, what else comes to mind when I think about laughing? Well, the fact that laughing can make us happier in life. We need to forget about all the bad things in life and focus on the positive. So the time to start is now. Put aside all the bad thoughts in your brain and think about the good ones. Think about the funny thing your child said or did, think about something funny that happened at someone else's expense but was funnier then heck, think about one of those "oops" moments you've had and laugh. Laugh about it! It's healthy to let it out. It's good for the heart and soul to laugh. Ok, back to Gigglytown for me. Now I just have to remember the last funny thing my daughter said to me....

Have a good day and laugh, laugh, and laugh some more!!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seeing these kind of posts reminds me of just how technology truly is undeniably integral to our lives in this day and age, and I can say with 99% certainty that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further innovates, the possibility of uploading our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about all the time.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://quizilla.teennick.com/stories/16129580/does-the-r4-or-r4i-work-with-the-new-ds]nintendo dsi r4i[/url] DS NePof)