Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Please Don't Share Your Swine H1N1 Flu!

It's that lovely time of year... the time for fall leaves to fall, pretty colors to soon change, the weather becoming colder, and the best part of all ~ everyone sharing their germs and sickness since they are so kind and generous! Aw yes, that lovely time of year when everyone becomes sick, and I do mean EVERYONE.

I am just about banking our schools have had the highest rate of absence this year in a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if a new record is set for the number of absent children and how often they are absent this year. It seems that swine flu, oh wait let me rephrase that... H1N1 flu is making it's way around the world and so happens to be in my area at the moment. Since people don't like that term "swine" flu, we must not say that now. I personally call it swine flu because that was the term introduced to the world and had everyone in a frenzied panic a few months ago.

It was abundantly awful to come home last Friday to my oldest daughter who had a fever of nearly 103. I felt so incredibly sorry for her. There is absolutely no worst feeling in the world when your child is sick and you can do nothing for your baby. Or, should I rephrase that to when your children are sick and you can do nothing for your babies. Yes, that has been my life these past few days! I knew my oldest would share with my youngest and sure enough within 48 hours I had both babies sick with high fevers. After much ibuprofen, taking temps every couple of hours, lots of gatorade, and many prayers, they are finally fever free. I am sure there is still more sickness to deal with but I hope and pray that the worst is over!

As for me, I have luckily avoided the fever so far but I have the yucky cough and sore throat coming on. And for some reason it comes out like the big bad ugly monster when I'm trying to go to sleep at night! Not fun for me =(. But I will handle it like a big girl because that is all that I can do. Ever heard that phrase that mommies aren't allowed to be sick? Well, I may feeling that before this is all said and done. Let's just hope and pray that doesn't happen (if you are listening oh wonderful Lord)!

Back to the term swine flu, I think it's funny myself. The doctors and rumors around the local town are that they are not confirming that the ugly pig headed virus H1N1 flu is here. Well, I have a big news flash for these people ~ just pick 1 out of every 2 households and go make a visit. Most of the people I know from around here have been sick so that ratio is probably low! I was cracking up last week after a 6 minute phonecall of a message from the head of local health department (or some fancy title like that). Anyway, he called to reassure parents that no known cases of the H1N1 flu are going around and not to fret just yet. After about 2 minutes of listening to this monotone voice, the voice stopped and he started coughing and hacking. Then he would pause, uh.... um.... and repeat himself over and over for 6 minutes. 6 minutes just to get that information out to the public! Wow. Then the jokes that started flying around on Facebook and emails to friends, it was great. So here is a phonecall from someone assuring us parents not to worry when the guy can't even make it through the phonecall without hacking and coughing through half of it himself! Very reassuring, let me tell ya.

On a serious note, if your kids or you have accrued this awful swine flu (and yes I will call it what I wish), please stay at home and indoors until you are better. Most of the doctors don't even want to see people unless they are at high risk because the more people that get out and share their germs, the more this terrible thing is going to stick around. And if your kids have it, keep them home! Some people may have to miss work or school, but it's better to get over it then spread the germs. I hope and pray mine are over the worst of it, and that I don't get any more of a cough then I already have! Remember to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer. My daughter carries that stuff around like it's candy; she is great about using it! Ok, I'm off to grab another cough drop now...

No comments: